Wednesday 16 June 2010

Marylebone Street Fair








On Sunday 13th June 2010 was the Marylebone street fair in London, since it was the end of my exams I was free to roam the streets of one of the city's most beautiful areas armed with a camera and no time limit. Every year Marylebone does a street fair, however this was my first time of going (shameful)! I had breakfast in some really random upstairs cafe which when you looked out the window you saw a patchwork of modern diverse sculptures, tied in with Banksy like graffiti, these 'roof' gardens were so small but very well presented. It was at the back of residential areas, with inventive window sill displays! It seemed to be a balancing act competition, one house had managed to display a life sized cow and duck statue on a wall, where another had melting shoe sculptures, in a weird way it looked really amazing - like the kind of thing you find in an urban photography gallery that has subtly been photo shopped to make some crazy medley of different art styles in one picture. After a pretty heavy (and regretful) breakfast I began my voyage around the stalls of Marylebone stopping to yet again stuff my face with highly calorific and glutinous food, I just couldn't help myself - you should've smelt the place! Despite the liquid sunshine that continued to drizzle at times throughout the afternoon, the market was packed and thriving. It was a massive sense of community - literally everyone was there! The fire brigade with 'open truck(!)', all the local shops, the 'Blue Zone' was my finest of discoveries - it was an open stage where local up and coming artists were playing on into the night. It was like a mini-Glastonbury!! There was an audience consisting of about 100 people, all jamming with picnics and balloons, then at the heart of that ravid mosh pit little toddlers were dancing around. All in all I can say that it was a very good day, there was a lot going on so in some respects it was hard to see it all, but regardless I enjoyed it thoroughly and hopefully will be going again next year. Also I hope you like the pictures I took, there are only a few up there, but enough for you to get the whole jist of what was going on!!

1 comment:

  1. this is my high street :) how come you went?

    ReplyDelete